Mrs Vicki Thompson – Head of Design and Technology, Teacher of Graphic Communication
Mr Julian Francis Teacher of Design Technology, Teacher of Graphic Communication
Head of Department: Mr Sasha Mataya – Head of Art
Course entry requirement: a minimum of grade B in GCSE Art or Product Design.
The course aims to:
- Develop candidates’ understanding of the nature of visual thinking
- Provide experience in a wide range of materials
- Help to develop an understanding of cultural change and contextual studies
- Develop an awareness of both analytical and intuitive value judgements
Students are taught a range of new skills including screen printing methods, typography and photography. They learn how to use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Premier Pro/iMovie. They work to a brief and learn how to design pieces that communicate with a target audience.
Students may work in the following areas of Graphic Communication
- Packaging design
- Design for print
- Communication graphics
- Motion graphics
- Design for film and television